Candy Box 2 source code is released under the free software GPLv3 license (free as in "freedom"). This means that you are free to:
- Use the software for any purpose
- Change the software to suit your needs
- Share the software with anyone
- Share the changes you make
You can get more information about this license here.
Where do I get the source code?
This language is published under the Apache License, which is GPL compatible.
Therefore, there are three ways to get the source code :
- The TypeScript files. This is the best solution if you want to work on the code. See below to know how to download them.
How do I work on the code?
The first thing to do is to download the .zip file containing everything you need : the game itself, the TypeScript files, the ascii art, the compilation scripts, and even this page!
Then, there are three steps :
- Install all the external software you will need to compile the game. Install node.js, the typescript compiler, yuicompressor and Python 3. Note that Candy Box 2 compilation script is using yuicompressor with the command "yuicompressor". Depending on how you installed it, you may need to use "yui-compressor" or another command. Don't hesitate to change the compilation script to comply with that.
- Try to run the compilation script included in the .zip file you downloaded earlier. Use compile.sh on GNU/Linux systems and compile.bat on Windows systems. If you encounter any problem, the fastest way to get an answer is to ask on Candy Box 2 IRC channel.
- If no error show up during the compilation process, it means it worked! You can now begin to work on the code by modyfing the TypeScript files in the code/main directory. You can play with the code, make your own ASCII art game, or maybe create a quest for Candy Box 2?